This page exists to document the status of the outdated forks of various WHATWG specifications, and any progress toward clarifying their out-of-dateness.
- Fullscreen: https://fullscreen.spec.whatwg.org/
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/fullscreen/
- Status: discontinued as a NOTE. ED URL (http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/fullscreen/raw-file/tip/Overview.html) redirects
- XMLHttpRequest: https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/
Confusion Somewhat Mitigated
- URL: https://url.spec.whatwg.org/
- Streams: https://streams.spec.whatwg.org/
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/streams-api/
- Status: mostly gutted, with a reasonable red disclaimer.
- Fetch: https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/
- Obsolete subsections published as http://www.w3.org/TR/cors/
- Status: still exists as an outdated specification with no warning, causing confusion.
- DOM: https://dom.spec.whatwg.org/
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/dom/
- Status: still exists as an outdated snapshot with no warning, causing confusion. And has a weird rename ("DOM4") too.
- Encoding: https://encoding.spec.whatwg.org/
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/encoding/
- Status: still exists as an outdated snapshot with no warning, causing confusion
- Notifications: https://notifications.spec.whatwg.org/
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/notifications/
- Status: still exists as an outdated snapshot with no warning, causing confusion. The spec model has diverged significantly in the meantime, and the outdated version is actively wrong, not just incomplete.
- HTML: https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/ as an outdated fork of a subset frozen in 2013.
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/html51/ as an outdated fork of a subset frozen in 2015.
- Forked to https://w3c.github.io/html/ as an outdated fork of a subset frozen in early 2016 (see blog post).
- In general all of these attempt to copy-and-paste HTML and then apply forked patches on top, but the scripts are wonky, leading to lots of errors.
- Subsets of HTML split out into other outdated forks, none with appropriate warnings: