This page exists to document the status of the outdated forks of various WHATWG specifications, and any progress toward clarifying their out-of-dateness.
- Fullscreen: https://fullscreen.spec.whatwg.org/
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/fullscreen/
- Status: discontinued as a NOTE. ED URL (http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/fullscreen/raw-file/tip/Overview.html) redirects
Confusion Somewhat Mitigated
- URL: https://url.spec.whatwg.org/
- Streams: https://streams.spec.whatwg.org/
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/streams-api/
- Status: mostly gutted, with a reasonable red disclaimer.
- XMLHttpRequest: https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest2/
- Forked to https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/xhr/raw-file/default/xhr-1/Overview.html
- Status: both /TR/ forks discontinued as a NOTE, although XHR2 directs visitors to both XHR1 and the XHR Standard for some reason. Editor's draft still exists.
- Fetch: https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/
- Obsolete subsections published as http://www.w3.org/TR/cors/
- Status: still exists as an outdated specification with no warning, causing confusion.
- DOM: https://dom.spec.whatwg.org/
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/dom/
- Status: still exists as an outdated snapshot with no warning, causing confusion. And has a weird rename ("DOM4") too.
- Encoding: https://encoding.spec.whatwg.org/
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/encoding/
- Status: still exists as an outdated snapshot with no warning, causing confusion
- Notifications: https://notifications.spec.whatwg.org/
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/notifications/
- Status: still exists as an outdated snapshot (and modified in undocumented ways) with no warning, causing confusion. The spec model has diverged significantly in the meantime, and the outdated version is actively wrong, not just incomplete.
- HTML: https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/ as an outdated fork of a subset frozen in 2013.
- Forked to http://www.w3.org/TR/html51/ as an outdated fork of a subset frozen in 2015.
- Forked to https://w3c.github.io/html/ as an outdated fork of a subset frozen in early 2016 (see blog post).
- In general all of these attempt to copy-and-paste HTML and then apply forked patches on top, but the scripts are wonky, leading to lots of errors.
- Subsets of HTML split out into other outdated forks, none with appropriate warnings:
- http://www.w3.org/TR/webmessaging/ (ED is nice at least https://w3c.github.io/webmessaging/)
- http://www.w3.org/TR/websockets/ (ED is nice at least https://w3c.github.io/websockets/)
- http://www.w3.org/TR/eventsource/ (ED is nice at least https://w3c.github.io/eventsource/)
- https://www.w3.org/TR/microdata/ (published as NOTE, but still contains a bunch of outdated content)