Web IDL definitions in https://dom.spec.whatwg.org/#xpath.
If someone ever decides to write down DOM XPath (i.e. a proper version of the DOM3XPath note), take this into account:
- Integrate the XPath part of the section with XPath and XSLT from HTML.
- Make it clear that contrary to XPath 1.0 multiple Text nodes can indeed be returned, even if they are siblings. The DOM is not the XML InfoSet. (As is the case in WebKit and Gecko today.)
- Make it clear that contrary to XPath 1.0 the root of the tree is the Document (and not the root element). This means you can return the parent of the root element (can you get all types of siblings? comments, PIs, doctypes? probably, but untested).
- Simplifications: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011AprJun/0310.html
- Exceptions: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=743888