Most WHATWG standards are hosted on GitHub.
To run the standard's Makefile (i.e. to run "make" in your terminal) you need to have whatwg/xref in the same parent directory as the repository of your standard (e.g. whatwg/dom). In addition you need to have installed Anolis (ms2ger/anolis).
Although some repositories are marked as "forked from" by GitHub, they are now the "authoritative" copies (indeed, also per their original owner).
On using GitHub Issues
Most WHATWG standards are not using GitHub Issues.
Issues some WHATWG contributors have with GitHub Issues:
- Lack of mailing list integration.
- Lack of sophisticated query mechanism found in Bugzilla.
And with GitHub in general:
- As the new Google Code it too might disappear.
- Hard to find new standards-related activities as people tend to put them in private and/or personal repositories.
- Notification system is unclear.